Thursday, January 3, 2013

Popcorn

Happy New Year! If you're like me and coming down from the high of a 12 day vacation, then yesterday felt a little weird. It was only my fourth day on the job and it felt like my first day all over again. What's the code to the building? Did I just inadvertently steal someone's coffee creamer? 

At home, things felt a little off as well. For dinner, we looked to the freezer for guidance and after two weeks of decadent treats and cheeses, fish and broccoli felt like the right choice - but also a little sad. Bye vacation! Guess I can't wear my pajamas all day! See you later cheese and chocolate! 
 
After tucking in a sleepy Ingrid, I happily climbed into bed at 8:30 with my new book ready for a full night of sleep. An hour later Ingrid started wailing. Dan and I looked at each other and groaned with annoyance. She wasn't tossing or turning or searching for a lost pacifier - she was just wide awake.

Dan suggested her and Ingrid watch a movie in the living room. I agreed but was a little twirly because A) Everyone needs their sleep. B) Dan had been with her all day and I was getting the guilts C) Seriously Ingrid? Go to sleep!

If you're already up with a toddler after bedtime, why not have a snack? Snacks make everyone happy.

I thought Ingrid would get a kick out of watching the popcorn pop, but we didn't get out of the pantry before we both started cracking each other up. I started to fake laugh at Ingrid over her fake-smile (mature Mom move!). She fake laughed at me, I "real" laughed, she replied and we went on like this until I had tears streaming down my face and had to quickly throw her into Dan's arms because I was too weak with laughter. I don't remember what started the fake smile/laugh or why I though giving a toddler popcorn at 9:30 at night was a good idea, but I have never had so much fun with my daughter in a 3 minute period. So glad I stayed up to give her a treat and share late night laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...