Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Yearly Recap: 2011

I love this time between Christmas and New Years - it's a great time to reflect on the year and prepare for a shiny, fresh new one. It also doesn't hurt that I always have this week off of work. Last year recapped 2010 here - man, oh man, how life can change in a year!

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Became a mom to lovely little Ingrid and took a job in advertising.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

To break away from the traditional "lose weight/be a better person" resolution, in 2011, I resolved to:
  • Find a job that’s creatively and financially rewarding - Check!
  • Continue to workout and practice yoga 4-5 days a week - Nope! Sorry overly-ambitious resolution!
  • Drop all baby weight by September - Bahaha! 15 pounds to go, and it's December. 27th. 
  • Breastfeed! - Thankfully, yes! 
  • Get my braces off and paid off! - Oh brother. I like to forget the fact that I had adult braces. Yes, they are off and paid in full! 
  • Stay on budget and pay off our credit card - Getting there...
  • Go camping with baby Atkinson - Check! 
  • Continue to stay in touch with friends and family - Yes! 
In 2012, I'm going to keep it sweet, simple and not at all original: 
  • Drop all baby weight by Ingrid's first birthday
  • Workout and practice yoga consistently
  • Get out of debt 
  • Embrace an attitude of gratitude, daily 
  • Be a great wife, mother and friend
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My two sisters-in-law to Ingrid's little cousins Audri in August and Wayne in November. And my good friend from college April and Malcolm to sweet little Tertius (can't wait to meet him this week!).

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Thank goodness, no!

5. What countries did you visit?
Nada. I went to Alabama and Minnesota. Aren't you jealous of my worldly travels?

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Stability!

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 10 - Ingrid arrived!
July 15 - Received a job offer!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Finding balance. Without it, I'm a hot mess and with it, I'm somewhat bearable.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I felt like a huge failure on June 27, the day we left to go camping for my birthday. Before we left, I received a thick envelope from my employer confirming my Unemployed status. Even though I knew this was coming - that day and feeling is forever stamped in my mind. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Because I felt helpless, worthless and terrified to spend a dollar.

The job searching process has it's obvious downs, but I learned that I wasn't defined by phone interviews that went down the gutter - and rejection letters were simply a notice that I wasn't the right fit. Nothing more. I'm thankful to now understand that although unemployment feels shitty - it's not a measure of failure.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully no, I could throw in c-section recovery, but honestly, I'd rather not remember that ordeal.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I have to be honest with you, the first thing I thought of was a nursing tank. So, although it's not glamorous, I'm going to say that the best thing I bought in 2011 was a nursing tank. Ok, three nursing tanks.

12. Where did most of your money go?
To our landlord and to UWM Children's Center.

13. What did you get really excited about?
Having a baby. Getting a job. My first day on the job. Abby's wedding. Talking about babies with other moms. Wisconsin sports.

14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Street Corner Preacher by Amos Lee. Our kitchen iPod loved playing this in the morning when I was getting ready for the day. Love it.

15. Compared to this time last year, are you: 

– happier or sadder? Happier.
– thinner or fatter? Thinner - but just barely - and at this time last year I was five months pregnant.
– richer or poorer? Richer.

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Listened. Read. Laughed. Taken more photos. Practiced yoga.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of? 

Complained. Job searched. Eating meat.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve: Spent the day with Dan and Ingrid - went on a long afternoon walk and made buffalo chicken wontons that night.
Christmas Day: The morning with the Zaches and the afternoon with the Henze's - and a Packer win to top it off.

19. What was your favorite TV program?
Is "Bravo" too broad? That, and Gossip Girl.

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Hands down, The Hunger Games trilogy. Runner up, Eat. Sleep. Poop.

21. What was your favorite music from this year? 

Oh. La. Gagagaha.

and She & Him.

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Bridesmaids, The Help and Our Idiot Brother.

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
28 - one of the most memorable birthdays ever. Dan, Ingrid, Harper and I went camping at High Cliff State Park. We enjoyed a long weekend of hiking, drinking, reading and enjoying the great outdoors!


24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A fatter savings account.

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
"Letting go of maternity leggings" - with a touch of western.


26. What kept you sane?
Yoga, Harper, Dan, baby Ingrid, my girlfriends and cooking.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.

One way or another, everything has a way of working out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a new reader to your blog. Your babygirl is precious! Sounds like you ended up having a pretty good 2011 - Here's to another successful year in 2012. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...