Wednesday, March 27, 2013

In the Attic

Tuesdays nights are our nights. Dan has poker - or is jamming away on some art deadline. Ingrid and I have been known to watch movies, have a frozen yogurt for dinner or make a stop into Target on Tuesday nights.

Last night, laundry was on the agenda. Ingrid was happily watching Bubble Guppies and I let her know that I was headed to the basement for a few minutes. As I came upstairs a few minutes later, I was greeted by our dog Harper on the stairs. The doorway to the back staircase had been opened by Harper and I didn't think anything of it - she can push the door open if not closed tightly.

I went back to preparing dinner and checked on Ingrid a minute later.

I couldn't find her in the living room and immediately panicked.

Then, I heard the worst sound imaginable. Ingrid crying, hard and loud.She had wandered upstairs and was at the top of the attic stairs.

The whole "search and rescue" had taken about twenty seconds but we were both hot messes. Tears and questions started pouring out. We had a discussion about going upstairs without Mom or Dad. She understands not to leave. I couldn't believe my ignorance - I left her unattended for a few minutes. She's two - what was I thinking? I felt like an idiot. An idiot mother. The worst feeling in the world.

In the large scheme of things, we're alright and lessons were learned but, nothing is worse than hearing your daughter say, "I up in attic. I so scared. Mama scared too." 

We'll go back to indulging on treats and Target trips and save the laundry for weekends.

In other slightly-less-dramatic, only-mom-cares news: Ingrid loves drinking out of an open cup. Those little beer sample cups from brewery tours are really coming in handy:

Ingrid 23 months, open cup excitement
So proud!

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, I hate moments like that. But we're only human and we can't watch everyone every second. In fact, when I had my second child I had to trust it was going to be okay to not watch everyone every second because it became impossible. Glad she's fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so sorry to hear about your scare. Thank goodness everything is alright. The fact that she was a little scared is probably means she would remember not to go up there again, at least (I assume).

    Some Snapshots Blog
    Jess

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...