Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Favorite Moments During the First Week of Motherhood - Part One

Last week (or so), our good friends welcomed their first baby girl.

I don't know if it was because the baby's gender was a surprise, or because the news came while I was in a NyQuil-induced sleep, but the next day I was just giddy with excitement.

The news brought back memories of our painfully long hospital stay  and those precious moments at home.

I reached out to my favorite mothers (including my own) and asked them to share their favorite moments during the first week of motherhood.

Although everyone had something different to share - one theme rang true: Those first few days are a blur, full of awe and wonder over the little person you and your spouse created. Then, come the random, magical moments like these:


  • Napping on the couch with her sleeping on my chest. Feeling her little body breathe against mine. 
  • Breast feeding. Seems weird thinking about it now but back then it felt so natural and obvious.
  • Listening to her breathe (maybe I'm obsessed with her breathing a little).
  • Doing funny things with her like putting eyeball stickers over her eyes when she was sleeping.
  • Feeling important taking her places like yes, I AM an adult, look at the baby I made, I'm cool.
  • Maternity leave.
  • My husband walking in the door, home from his first day back at work, and saying "There's my girls." Then he said he had been waiting 9 months to say that and it was the longest he had ever waited to use a line.
  • Watching Lindsay (that would be me) try to feed her a bottle for the first time. So awkward (it was).
  • Waking up in the middle of the night to breastfeed and my husband doing push ups and sit ups in order to stay awake with me.
  • Feeling the explosive farts come out of her little body.
  • Smelling her after a bath. (Thank you Johnson & Johnson bedtime bath and body wash.)
  • Listening to her zombie noises while she slept.


Zombie noises! I completely forgot about those zombie noises.

More favorite moments to come later this week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...