Friday, September 30, 2011

Homemade Halloween

The beloved homemade Halloween costume.

Wearing the same pair of cardboard wings year after year as a butterfly (and then later, a fairy). I remember covering a cardboard box in dots to magically morph into dice (or the singular "die"). Then later in my college years, inserting the term "sexy" in the ever-popular "Sexy Mechanic" (seriously).

These costumes took creativity, time, effort and at least some sort of thought. I remember looking down on - yet somehow envying those kids (and adults) who actually purchased their Halloween costumes from Target, or that weird pumpkin-thing that shoots up from the State Fair parking lot annually.

They had "real" plasticy costumes with appropriately scaled accessories and I had "fake" weird hodge-podge costumes with flimsy wings. They looked cool, but didn't even have to think about what they were going "to be" the model on the one-size-fits-most package did that for them!

I vowed at a young age to never purchase one of these insanely expensive costumes for myself or my child. I didn't rule out borrowing them (case in point, Jamie's St. Pauli Girl costume cira 2007 and 2008) - but now as I wrestle with the elements involved - I'm wondering what's best - to make, borrow or - gulp - purchase Ingrid's first Halloween costume.

Pros for Purchasing:
  • Virtually the same cost - or cheaper - than making your own. 
  • Ingrid will be bundled and super cute. 
  • I won't have to craft anything - and then wrangle husband to finish crafting.
Cons for Purchasing:
  • Spending unnecessary dollars on a costume. 
  • Going to Target/Old Navy/bizarre pop-up Pumpkin Store to actually get one. 
  • No nasty costume smell (you know what I'm talking about, it smells like you just hung out in Spencer's for hours) 
  • Additional waste for Mrs. Mother Earth. 
This weekend I plan on putting on my crafting-hat and plan on devising a plan to morph Ingrid's little tutu into a little bumble bee (we already have a yellow tutu, courtesy of our friends who generously give us their daughter's hand-me-downs!).

Stay tuned for the sure-to-be epic results!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...