Thursday, August 25, 2011

(Not Really) On My Playlist: John Mayer - Waiting On The World To Change




Like most of the world, I've come to grips that the once-beloved John Mayer turned into a serial-dater ego-manic. But, every now and again, that smooth-lyricist gets in your head and painfully, your heart. Damn that voice!

On my way home from work, I heard this classic John Mayer tune and was transported back to 2008, election season. That fall, I went on a solo trip to Racine to see then, Senator Barack Obama speak. I remember walking out of that rally with so much hope and thinking that this man had the power to bring people together for real, actionable change. This isn't a political rant, keep reading! As I continued to listen to this song, I thought about all-things Iraq/Afghanistan. Somehow our presence over-seas has outlasted Barack's energizing campaign, John Mayer's position on the pop charts - and then some. My husband is 30 and went "over there" three times about a decade ago. I have nothing cheerful or uplifting to bring this post to a close - except to say, can you even believe that somehow John Mayer is still somehow relevant? What. A lucky bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...