Friday, February 18, 2011

Why I'm a Democrat

As the nation focuses on the protests in Madison, school closings and Governor Scott Walker, I'm compelled to voice my opinion because - well, I'm a Democrat through and through and I'm so proud of my fellow Wisconsinites and of my Democratic senators - you are doing exactly what I elected you to do - to stand up for the rights of hard working families. 

I also believe that:

We didn’t become the most prosperous country in the world by rewarding greed and recklessness or by letting those with the most influence write their own rules. We got here by rewarding hard work and responsibility, by investing in people, and by growing our country from the bottom up.

I completely understand Walker's need to balance our state budget - that's why many Badger fans sent him to the capital. Asking teachers to contribute to their pensions and health care coverage may be unimaginable to many families - but it's a reasonable and logical idea. But, eliminating their collective bargaining power is not a budgetary issue, but an ideological issue against unions. It really grinds my gears that Walker is passing this off as a budgetary issue. As a state, we may be fat, but we're not stupid.

As our nation slips farther and farther behind in education and health care - I hope that our elected officials look past their next election cycle - focus on the people who sent them to office and do what's right for everyone - not every corporation.

As always, our beloved progressive ex-Senator Russ Feingold says it best.

February 17, 2011 - Madison, Wisconsin protests, image from politico.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...