Wednesday, November 23, 2011

S is for Sticking Together.

Recently, several moms posted this article on the Facebook.

As I read the columnist's "words of wisdom" - I was reminded of a fellow blogger's recent post about moms needing to stick together. Or for that matter, women needing to stick together. 

I understand that the author was making a point and answering the reader's question but, this article was insulting to work-outside-of-the-home moms, and women - no - people without kids. The theme I'm a Mom and I'm Busy is an all too common theme found in parenting resources and I'm over it. It's an unhelpful theme. Go ahead and share or vent - but isn't the I'm Busier Than You Game a little pointless?

Yes, with one seven-month-old, it does take me "45 minutes to do what takes others 15." But guess what - it might take 60 minutes for someone with physical limitations.

Point is - you think you're busy - but someone's got you beat.

As moms, we're not extra busy or extra special - we're just moms. Working outside of the home doesn't make me any less - or more - busy than someone staying/working at home. 

Many points of this article made complete sense and were spot on - parenthood does require your constant everything. It requires every ounce of you as a person. Of course, priorities change once you have kids. Ingrid has enriched my life in ways I never imagined - yet I have interests beyond Ingrid. If she ever decides to have kids, I hope she continues to explore her passions and is a well-rounded, interesting person. And in my book, interesting people connect and talk to other interesting people from time to time. 

Instead of participating in the Busy Contest, why don't we just acknowledge that we all have shit to do, in the same 24 hours as everyone else. Lets leave the two-seater shopping carts for the moms with two kids, just smile and nod at the pregnant lady in Target (I need to remember this one...) and continue to care, support, communicate and spend some quality face time with our loved ones with - or without kids.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...