Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sorry Rose, that answer won't cut it.

Looking back on our time at the hospital, I honestly enjoyed our time in that small, crappy room. We were able to be cocooned from the outside world, spend time with our new little addition and have our questions answered at the push of a button. After spending six days there, we collected numerous stories and encountered amazing nurses along the way. I personally loved the older nurses the best - they were able to translate my "deer in the headlights" look and offer sound advice - or literally take Ingrid and demand that I take a nap. They were confident, they were capable - they were moms.  

One night, Ingrid was especially fussy and Dan woke me up in a panic when he felt a red, squishy spot on her head. We buzzed our nurse Rose and I attempted to explain her condition as coherently as I could - at 4 in the morning - as my head was spinning with "what ifs." 22 year-old Rose nervously giggled at everything. I needed another pain pill - giggle. I wanted an appointment with the Lactation Consultant - giggle. She needed to take my vitals - giggle. We were worried about this weird abnormality on her skull - big smile, little giggle and then she sputtered something about how this was common with a vacuum extraction.   

Sorry Rose, that answer won't cut it. 

I felt so protective and asked her to contact another nurse to explain to us - in medical terms - what was wrong with Ingrid. She understood completely and did her job well. And of course, this was a very common side effect of a vacuum extraction - she's now "squishy spot" free.

It was a very emotional moment for the two of us - I mean, it was her head! I knew that this bullshit answer wasn't good enough and as a mom, I needed to be her advocate - without being a complete bitch. 

I stumbled across this quote today and although it's a bit "much," it sums up how I felt in that moment: 

"Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers - strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...